Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

FAFSA Tips!!! Keep Calm and Just Do It!

It's that time of year again! FAFSA time!

If you're like me that means it's time to bang your head against the desk and groan loudly. For those of us who rely on the FAFSA this can be a stressful time. And it's even more stressful for those of use whose parents have complicated taxes.

Lucky for me, I have filed my last FAFSA (unless I go to grad school...) Which brings me to the most important point: One day you won't have to deal the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, one day this torture will end! Rejoice in that and buckle down and get it done, because the sooner the better!


Keep reading for 6 Tips to help you make it through FAFSA season with your sanity intact!



Tip #1: It is vital to finish the FAFSA as soon as possible to maximize your financial aid. Seeing as we are already in the second week of February, if you haven't done it yet, set aside a few hours to do it this week. You or your parents have likely not completed your taxes yet, so you might be missing some important numbers, but you can guess! Just try to make a good estimate and move on. This will save you from ripping out your hair and begging your parents to do their taxes faster. But Don't forget to go back in and fill in the correct data when you have it!!!

Tip #2: You may want to fill out your FAFSA with a parent nearby or on the phone, that way you can ask them any questions you may have (and you WILL have questions). You will need their social security numbers, information about their employers, and a bunch of info about how much money they make. Again, don't be afraid to insert estimates. Just be sure to check the box that says "Will File" for you and your parent's taxes so the FAFSA people know the numbers may not be entirely accurate.

Tip #3: Don't stay on one page for too long, it could time out and you will loose all of the info you put in since it was last saved - which was likely the last time you completed a page.

Tip #4: If you have siblings also filling out the FAFSA you only need to put in your parent's data once. There will be a code (or a link, I can't remember) when you finish so that the data can be transferred to their FAFSA.

Tip #5: Keep a FAFSA folder or binder. That way you can keep all of your information together so that you can look at it when you reapply each year. I keep my PIN and my mother's PIN along with our Social Security Numbers written on an inside flap so that I can find them quickly. You may need to make small changes later or fill out additional forms for loans and you will need this information.


Tip #6: Take a deep breath and think of the money! Remember why you are filling out this dreaded document and all the ways it could help you. Without the FAFSA I wouldn't be able to go to college, that thought helps me get through.

Here's a site with some more helpful tips: getreadyforcollege.org

Do you dread FAFSA season as much as me? Have any tips of your own? Leave a comment and let me know!

5 comments:

  1. This is awesome advice. I always stress over the FASFA. I wish I'd had this blog post when I first did the FASFA!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is awesome advice thanks alot. if you have any advice or information to share about private loans please post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it helpful! Unfortunately I don't have any experience with private loans. I have had to take out extra loans, but I did it through a Parent Plus Loan from www.studentloans.gov. Good luck, I hope you are able to find the information you need! =)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for providing this important information regarding easy fafsa tips.I fully read your blog,there are good fafsa tips to get fafsa.

    ReplyDelete