Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Rejected By Your First Choice Univeristy? It's Gonna Be OK

This has probably happened to more people than are willing to admit it. But it’s not as bad as it seems, so take a deep breath.

You were rejected because of your ambition; you had high hopes and high expectations for yourself. That’s great! Don’t hate on yourself for that. Give yourself a pat on the back for aiming too high, it’s always better than aiming too low.

If you’ve got the rejection blues  check out this video on YouTube.  I only found it recently, but it would have made me feel better back when I was rejected.


And if you need more cheering up, here’s my story of rejection and how it all turned out for the best:
During my senior year of high school, anytime someone asked me where I was going to college I would say “UC Davis”. Then when I got the rejection email I was sad for a few brief seconds. Then I was mad. First off, they didn’t even bother to send me a rejection letter! Instead I got a lousy email! How dare they!? Second, they rejected me! Again, how dare they!? I replied to the rejection email – knowing that it was not an active email address and that nobody would ever read it – and I wrote a lot of four letter words. Then, after I was done being mad, I took a long look at  my other options and realized that I wouldn’t have ended up choosing UC Davis anyway. I got a better financial aid package at my second choice school and it ended up being a better fit for me anyway.

Maybe I was meant to be rejected by Davis so that my choice would be easier, or so that I could never look back and wonder if I made the right choice. Or maybe I just wasn’t good enough and that’s the end of it. But either way, I ended up exactly where I belong. I could not be happier with how things have turned out.

Hopefully, four years down the road, you’ll feel the same way about getting rejected as I do now.

2 comments:

  1. This is so inspiring, Allison! :) Good for you for seeing the bright side of things. (Plus, English Club wouldn't be the same without you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Kelsey! I wouldn't be the same without the English Club =)

      Delete